Adventures in Africa





tisdag 27 april 2010

Africa

Sometimes it just hits me => I am in AFRICA!! Like yesterday when I was in “my” kitchen washing a pair of shorts I want to bring to Zanzibar (normally I don’t do my own laundry, but I’ll come back to that) and looked out the window at the palm trees and the Indian Ocean… Or earlier when I was at the market buying children’s books to learn Portuguese or on my way to the market when close to everybody greets me with a “bom dia senhora”. It’s strange how familiar everything is already and yet it feels kind of surreal when I think about it, I mean REALLY think about it. If things would have been “normal” I would have been at the office in Stockholm instead of trying to get a man at the market to understand what I wanted when I asked for “livro pour bebe!?!”

And the learning how to speak Portuguese is a chapter by itself. I’m usually throwing in French words (like above) when I don’t know the Portuguese ones, but sometimes also English or even Swedish – you never know, it might actually work :) And, as in lots of languages, there are similarities even with Swedish words. Spanish is closest to Portuguese, but it’s also helpful to know some French and Italian. I haven’t had any luck in finding a teacher, although someone promised to organize classes and get back to me some time ago. I have a new solution though and I’ll try to work that out when coming back from Zanzibar. Meanwhile I will bring my new books and study on the beach in Nungwi. I do study on my own still and are getting there slowly but surely; I can order food and buy children’s books, you know ;) And I do understand quite a bit already!

About me not doing my own laundry; I just give it to the day “guarda” in the morning and the same night I get it back ironed and very neatly folded. I pay approximately 40 SEK per wash, and wow, it is worth every öre! We also have Maria, who is the “embrigada”, she comes 3 times per week to clean and wash the dishes etc. That is luxury!

I was telling you yesterday about the wind and “winter” heading this way – today I was told that the next last rain came this morning… (I don't even know if you can say that in English - but I guess you know what I mean)


In and around Pemba:













1 kommentar:

  1. Förstår att det måste kännas overkligt...för nu har du ju varit där längre än vad man har semester...till och med om man har låååång semester :-) Låter i alla fall som om du får uppleva en massa nytt...och får tid att reflektera och ta in en annan kultur. Vi ska träffa Anette & Håkan ikväll från skåne...å jag vet att när Anette jobbade på KLM så tog hon en trip till Zanzibar helt själv, hon pratar fortfarande om hur fantastiskt hon tyckte det var!! Sköt om dig och var rädd om dig vännen! Stor kram Lisen

    SvaraRadera