Adventures in Africa





fredag 23 april 2010

Zanzibar

Today I booked my trip to Zanzibar. I’m leaving on Wednesday next week and will be gone one week. I have to leave Mozambique to renew my visa this time and I am really looking forward to see Zanzibar, everybody says it is very beautiful!

Earlier this week I met new friends, Don & Wendy, at Clube Naval. They are a South African couple (I would guess in their late 60’s) and very nice! We had lunch and chatted for a couple of hours and the next day I showed them Pemba. When they had asked at the hotel about sightseeing they were told there is nothing to see in town and they shouldn’t waste energy going there. I remember that’s the exact same thing they told me and Helena in November – which resulted in us not going there for more than 30 minutes or so. But of course you must see town when you’re here!! It is not a beautiful town (it probably was in the 1960’s or so) but it’s an African town with lots of small villages integrated and a stunning view. So we took a taxi around and about and visited the 2 markets before heading back to the hotel. We had a great morning and I hope I’ll see them again tomorrow. Don might go fishing so maybe I’ll just hang out with Wendy.

Wednesday night turned out to be an unplanned all-nighter with a sunrise swim before going to bed at 9.00 o’clock Thursday morning… Me, C and Jamie was just having a good time and talked, talked & talked until it was suddenly already morning. Now I really feel like I’m being on vacation and I am enjoying it! Soon enough I will have to start working again.

And now, when I’m ready to post this on the blog, Internet is not working – again… I’ll just have to try tomorrow or so I guess. Patience was the word.

And…now it’s up again :)

5 kommentarer:

  1. Wow, sounds great!! I saw that Zanzibar (Unguja island) has a neighboring island called...Pemba and another called...Mafia! Pemba seems to be a popular name in East Africa - do you know what 'pemba' means? Like, "let's pemba" or maybe "let's eat some more pemba" :) Anyway, have a super-super-fun time!!!XOX BigBro

    SvaraRadera
  2. I will say it again, Zanzibar...don't you just love the name?? Very cool trip planned. Are you solo? Be careful, have fun, bring home goodies, I hope you are beginning to collect African art, I can see it all hanging on your walls in Stockholm and you sitting back on your coach on a cold wintery night with a glass of red wine and your eye sees one of your masks of Africa and it takes you right to the beautiful experiences you are having and the memories that you only, will be filled with. Love you.

    SvaraRadera
  3. Actually - yes; you can say "come let's go pemba" :) and of course it means let's have some fun!! I have noticed the Mafia island as well, but I don't think I will have enough time to go there this time. I might go to Pemba though, it seems to be a very nice and unexploited place. It depends on what happens...I have a plan, but it is definitely flexible!

    I know, Zanzibar - I love the name too, very exotic!!! And I am so looking forward to going there! I am going solo, but I think it will be easy to meet backpackers all over the island so I will be safe enough :)

    I will start to collect African art as soon as I start making some money - I have my eyes on a couple of things... My apartment seems far away right now though :)

    Miss you guys, I hope you are planning a trip here at some point! XXX

    SvaraRadera
  4. Hej, vad kul att du ska till Zanzibar, dit vill jag också åka. Hur är det annars?? Kram kram

    SvaraRadera
  5. Allt är toppen! Ser så himla mycket fram emot den här resan :) Tänk om ni hade kunnat följa med... Ha det jättebra så hörs vi lite mer ordentligt när jag kommer tillbaka. KRAM!

    SvaraRadera