Adventures in Africa





måndag 19 april 2010

Settling in

I’ve had a couple of very good night’s sleep in my new room – even if they don’t last longer than until 5.00 am. That’s when the rooster next door starts his thing and wakes me up. I hope I’ll get used to it! And to have the room all to myself is really great! It has actually been ok to share, but to have some privacy is never wrong you know.

After arranging things and taking my clothes out of the suitcase to hang them in a closet (!), for the first time in 6 weeks, I head off into town on Thursday. Luckily for me C called and asked what I was up to and picked me up at the Pemba Beach Hotel. I had walked there and it was really hot, so I’m very glad she came by! That way I got very nice lunch and shopping company as well.

She is the best! She drove me around and helped me go to the shops with the best deals for my needs. And of course we ended up in a second hand store that had 50 % off… 3 tops and 1 pair of trousers for 50! SEK (USD 7!). You CAN'T not shop with prices like that!!!

Friday I was in town again and found a bag that is just big enough for daily things, I have been looking for one since I came here – my backpack is a little bit too big and the hand bags I brought are not really usable. Jutta passed me outside of PEP’s so after a quick stop there we went to Clube Naval for some lunch, sun and a swim in the ocean.

I must say I don’t mind this way of living AT ALL ;) I have been thinking of something Peter, my colleague Annika’s husband, said before I left: “You are doing what a lot of people sit at dinner talking and dreaming about”. And I’ve realized I am and I have only one thing to say to those of you that really want it => stop the talking and make it happen! It’s so worth it!! All the new experiences and interesting people you meet - both locals, ex-pat's and backpackers. It is just great!

One unfortunate consequence of me moving from Russell’s is that I don’t have daily Internet access anymore. I will try to connect somewhere every other day or so, but I’m not going to be online as much as I have until now.

But I don’t mean to complain – check out the view from my room:

1 kommentar: