Adventures in Africa





fredag 12 mars 2010

Working girl…

The first week I just settled in and didn’t do much actual work. Although, I did go into town a couple of times with Russell, shopping for the camp at a gazillion different places. Buying everything from charcoal to eggs to milk to flour to toilet paper to alchol to cleaning products etc. All in different shops, none has it all... This is so different from Sweden where we get everything delivered.

But the last couple of days I have started to work. Its fun and quite easy, but new routines always takes a little time to figure out. And improvements - in due time I guess. For now I’ll just try to recognize all people coming here. This is “da place” for the locals if I understand things right. Perfect – makes it a lot easier for me to get to know everybody. I actually met most of them at a beach party last Saturday. It was a great party and, I said it before, everybody is so nice and welcoming!

Yesterday I lay by the pool at Club Navale (Pemba Beach Hotel) all day long with my new friend Jutta from Germany! It was so nice to just relax and get a tan started. I have been here a week already and was still as white as when I arrived. Didn’t even burn myself either. And the ocean is unbelievably warm – must be at least 25C!

Coming back to the camp Gail and I went for another run in the heat. And once again I didn’t find it as exhausting as I was afraid of. It actually feels quite good to run in this temperature. Unfortunately is Gail leaving for South Africa in a couple of weeks. She’ll probably be gone 3 months, so I have to find another running partner during that time; it’s not a good idea to run on your own here. There is a woman here training for an ultra race in Australia (I think it is 240 km during 5 days). Maybe I can run with her and maybe I’ll just start train for Stockholm Marathon 2011 while I’m at it…

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar